Lingo is the web face of the Languages Action Alliance, which aims to:
- Motivate and empower parents from all backgrounds to make informed decisions and take initiatives to support the development of bilingual skills for their children
- Connect parents, educators, teachers, community groups and language organisations for the purpose of promoting and supporting language teaching and learning
- Raise the Australian public’s awareness about the benefits of multilingualism
- Raise government bodies’ awareness of what parents want in terms of support and services for language learning
- Deliver the message that as individuals and as community we can make a difference.
Our initial focus is on parents of very young children, reflecting international research about the long term benefits and dividends of raising children in a language-rich environment from the very early years.